There is a vast range of software tools, both open and commerial licenses, that can be applied for formatting and quality checking of marine data types. The following listing gives an initial overview.
Ices Marine Data Tools:
ICES offers a rich collection of applications, software, calculators and dictionaries that potential data providers may find useful either to work with the ICES data sets or for processing their data packages before submission. These tools range from web services for the expert data miner, to information on how the different data types are formatted for input into the ICES databases. Get access to the relevant tools here.
SeaDataNet has developed a number of common tools to provide an integrated and harmonised overview and access to data resources, managed by distributed data centres. Software tools are, freely available to Data Centres and/or end users, can be found here.
SeaDataNet Data reformatting tools:
- OCTOPUS: a multi-format splitter and converter tool to to convert files in a given SeaDataNet format to another SeaDataNet format (e.g. : ODV to NetCDF, MedAtlas to NetCDF, MedAtlas to ODV)
- NEMO javatool: for conversion of any ASCII format to all SeaDataNet data formats (ODV ASCII, NetCDF (CF) and MedAtlas)
SeaDataNet Metadata reformatting tools:
- MIKADO javatool: for editing and generating XML metadata entries for the for the SeaDataNet directories EDMED, CSR, EDMERP, CDI and EDIOS.
- EndsAndBends: Tool for the generation of spatial objects from vessel navigation during observations
SeaDataNet Quality Controls Tools:
- Ocean Data View software package: adapted for quality control, analysis and visualizations of data sets
Integrated Publishing Toolkit (IPT) for biodiversity data:
Data can be submitted using different data formats (see data management guidelines). In addition data can be prepared through the Integrated Publishing Toolkit (IPT) developed by GBIF. The IPT is a freely available open source web application that makes it easy to share biodiversity-related information. The user is guided by the application through a series of steps to format their data, fill in the necessary metadata and publish the dataset.